Community

To:
Subject:

Does site type affect eCPM?

Jol
Aug 24, 2007 (6 years 245 days ago)

United States US
Does the type of site that my game is being shown on affect my eCPM?

Like, if I got a game on addictinggames.com, would my eCPM be higher than if I landed it on a few small, unprofessional sites, even if I had the same number of hits?
  • Thankful People:

asvegren

I base this on nothing but instinct, but I sincerely doubt that. I find it very improbable that Mochi are attempting to chart out the entire Flash website network. In any case, it's what person that plays the game that matters, not where it's played.
  • Thankful People:

Jameson

United States US
Asvegren is correct. It's more about who is playing your game rather than where they are playing.
  • Thankful People:

Israel (CerebralGames)

Chile CL
I don't now if this is a problem particular to me, but I have triplicated my gameplays in one game the last week, but after that my ecpm are a third than before =/
  • Thankful People:

Jol

United States US
Here is a thread that explains that israelazo.

https://www.mochiads.com/forum-pub/comments.php?DiscussionID=33&page=1#Item_33
  • Thankful People:

stonecypher
Aug 28, 2007 (6 years 240 days ago)

I feel it important to point out that even if the metrics are about who's looking at the ad, the site you're housing them in may have significant impact. For example, smaller websites tend to frame every game in about a million Google or AdBrite ads. As many of you may already know, the more ads a person is confronted with at once, the less effective each one is individually. To that end, if you're presenting your game in an otherwise empty page, which is ideal, your ads will have more impact than if you've hidden your game among a collection of network ads. This effect is especially important when you're trying to monetize your game through embedded ads, as whereas it's not that big a deal if you hold all the network ads too, when you don't, they in effect are leeching off of your click rates.

I'm not suggesting you should avoid these kinds of sites; sometimes just getting your game's name out to the broadest group of available users is the most important thing on the table (especially for networked games subject to Metcalfe's Law.) Still, in understanding these trends, you can at times take control of them. For example, a good friend wrote one of the games which is used as many game sites' example placard. He was able to negotiate with many of those cluster sites to reduce their framing ads in exchange for reducing his payment. However, the increase in the volume of ads running through Mochi ended up making it a net win in most of the cases.

Am I saying that's the right thing for you to do? No: I don't know your situation. It's just food for thought. (Besides, his game is very well known, and the sequel to a previously well known game; he had some serious bargaining clout.)
  • Thankful People:

robotJAM
Aug 28, 2007 (6 years 240 days ago)

United Kingdom GB
Surely thats only true of PPC ads. Most of the ads on the network are PPI rather than PPC.

I do agree though that most of the arcade sites do over ad their sites. I find 1 google ad on a page is much more effective than loading the page with them on my own site.
  • Thankful People:
Back To The Forums