Community

To:
Subject:

eCPM

ealiensoft
Aug 08, 2007 (6 years 260 days ago)

Hello, i'm kind of confused. It seems that the more I show, the more my eCPM is going down. On saturday, my eCPM was around .40-.45, and I only showed around 7-10k impressions. Since then my impressions have been doubling, but my eCPM's have been cutting in half daily. Now i'm down to .08 with almost 20k impressions already today, and I showed 51,000 impressions yesterday at .10 eCPM. Is this normal? The more you show the less you make or is this just a coincidence with different advertisers.

Thanks
  • Thankful People:

eCPM

asvegren

I've had the same experience, although not as extreme. When I started off my average eCPM was around $0.25. Now it moves between $0.10 and $0.20.
  • Thankful People:

eCPM

Jol

United States US
Basically, this means that your game just got really popular in large, but poor countries like Russia. If a lot of Russians play, your eCPM goes down because Russians don't pay as much money for adspace as Americans do. Conversely, Americans pay more, but there are fewer, so thats probably why your eCPM is like that. Also, after the initial release, not as many Americans will play, whereas there are plenty more Russians willing to play your game.

I'm not hating on Russia, thats just an example that was explained to me.

Fluctuations in the advertising and stock market also affect this. Example: maybe some companies, like swimsuit companies, don't purchase adspace in the winter, therefore driving down your eCPM.

eCPM

asvegren

The absolute vast majority of the hits my game is currently receiving is from one large site where 56.3% of the users are US-UK-CA. It's an interesting theory that may apply in many cases, but it doesn't seem to be true in mine.
  • Thankful People:

eCPM

ealiensoft

Hmmm, interesting. Most of my traffic that I can track (can't use mochibot because I use actionscript 3.0, which if anyone knows how to get around that issue by maybe loading another 2.0 flash file from inside my script or something please let me know) comes from japan, netherlands, germany, and the usa. None of those are poor countries last time I checked =) Thanks for replying though, I really wish I could track my stats better to see if most of my untrackable traffic is in fact coming from places like you mentioned.
  • Thankful People:

eCPM

bob

United States US
The eCPM has more to do with our ad inventory than it does the economic status of those countries. English speaking countries are where the majority of our ad inventory is targeted for. As we grow it becomes easier to sell advertising, so eCPMs will definitely go up considerably. The current drop in eCPM is temporary and it's due to both a large influx of new users (more traffic) as well as a shift in ad inventory. We're working on it, and we're also working on better targeting algorithms to get the most out of every impression.

eCPM

ealiensoft

Thanks for your quick response bob, it's appreciated. Keep up the good work :)
  • Thankful People:
Back To The Forums