Community

To:
Subject:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

psyon
Jul 25, 2009 (4 years 270 days ago)

United States US

I was just curious what some people think the pros and cons are of the Flex SDK vs the Flash IDE. I use both linux and windows here at home, so using the Flex SDK would allow me to work easily on both computers. The Flash IDE gives you the advantage of being able to do graphics, but with Flex you can embed SVG graphics made from a free program as well. What are some of your thoughts?

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

DrRobot

United States US

You can embed swf files and get the movieclips too, ya know.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

awj

United States US

Coming from a programmer's standpoint, I'd much rather be using the Flex SDK. Here's the advantages I see:

• Can use the IDE I already know to edit code
  • Sane (i.e. "what I already use") build environment for compiling SWFs. I can produce versions of my game with and without the mochi preloader just by typing a different command.
  • All of my game is defined in "one place" (in the code). Don't have to track game logic through code and random display objects.
  • Access to all of the Flex classes. I haven't used this yet, so I'm not sure how valuable it is, but more free tools is always nice.

As for the disadvantages:

• There are some classes that are only bundled with the Flash IDE (i.e. everything under fl. instead of flash.) Replacements have generally been available in third party implementations or Flex equivalents, but neither sees as many tutorials. If you have the IDE I think you can set things up so you can use those classes in Flex.
  • In general, tutorials assume you're using the Flash IDE. I'm getting a sense of how to skim through them for the parts I need, but it does make figuring things out that much harder. It looks like more pure as3 tutorials are becoming available
  • The compiler is slow. I'm not sure how it is in the Flash IDE, but for me it takes ~10 seconds to compile a simple project. Considering this is the only way to test out your work, that time adds up pretty quick.
  • Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

wm
Jul 25, 2009 (4 years 270 days ago) edited 4 years 270 days ago

United States US

You can just make the Flash IDE export an SWC with the fl.* stuff you need. Link that into your Flex build.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

garin

New Zealand NZ

From what I understand, the IDE compiler is a lot slower than Flex. On my current project it takes several minutes to build, which is one of the reasons we're actually in the middle of switching everything over to Flex (with Flex Builder). At this stage of development it's a lot of work, but hopefully it'll be worth it.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

Moczan

Poland PL

I use FlashDevelop for writing my code and Flash IDE for managing assets etc. My .fla files have only one blank frame and no code on timeline. I'm quit happy with this combination, but I've never tried Flex SDK so I can't really say which one is better.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

wm

United States US

Moczan's combo works well.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

DrRobot

United States US

Originally posted by Moczan

I use FlashDevelop for writing my code and Flash IDE for managing assets etc. My .fla files have only one blank frame and no code on timeline. I'm quit happy with this combination, but I've never tried Flex SDK so I can't really say which one is better.

you use the flex sdk with flashdevelop. Do you mean Flex Builder?

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

wm

United States US

The Flex SDK is not something designed for use only with FlashDevelop. Moczan is explaining that he uses the IDE for managing assets, which he then imports into his build with the Flex SDK.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

badim

Russian Federation RU

i work as not programmer, but as game builder(code, art, gamedesign) =) to do whole game - Flash IDE is much usefull then Flex IDE. and more over, comparing how i can manage projects on Flash and Flex - flex simply suck. i think even npp is much better. but if you going to code and code only - flex is good too, but not better then npp.

[npp - notepad++]

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

Moczan

Poland PL

No, I write my code in FlashDevelop, manage graphics and sounds in Flash IDE. I compile everything in Flash IDE. As I said I've never tried building project in Flex so I can't compare Flex SDK vs Flash IDE in terms of compiling etc. Using 3 programs to build my projects (which are mostly tech demos/fun stuff) would be too much.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

simianlogic

United States US

I do all my prototyping with the Flex SDK. When it comes time to add real graphics, UI, etc, I move into Flash for constructing game screens. Like Moczan, though, I don't do any coding in Flash itself (horrible IDE for coding)--I just use it as a layout and compiling tool.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

Erasmus Darwin

Using 3 programs to build my projects (which are mostly tech demos/fun stuff) would be too much.

The Flex SDK is called from within FlashDevelop. You wouldn't have to exit FlashDevelop and start up a third program. It's just the behind-the-scenes magic that makes the compile option work for AS3 projects in FlashDevelop.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

Kannushi Link
Jul 25, 2009 (4 years 269 days ago) edited 4 years 269 days ago

Taiwan TW

I don't use Flex because it just sucks.

By the way, can Flex grab the assets from FLA file?

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

Khanduras
Jul 25, 2009 (4 years 269 days ago)

United States US

Flex can do everything Flash can do, given the will to actually learn how to do it properly. While it doesn't cater towards graphic design artists working on Flash games, it surely has a much richer IDE for coding. It's really just a matter of preference when it all comes down to it.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

wx3
Jul 25, 2009 (4 years 269 days ago)

Coming from a programming background I started with the Flash IDE, abandoned it almost immediately for Flash Develop, and have since moved on to Flex Builder. Flash is useful for designing MCs and graphics, but as a programming tool it's horrible.

Major advantages to Flex Builder:

• Real IDE with code completion
  • Good debugger with profiler (pro version)
  • Refactoring tools (lets you instantly rename classes, methods and variables just by right-clicking on the name, I really like this)
  • Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

psyon
Jul 26, 2009 (4 years 269 days ago)

United States US

Well, one thing I just noticed is that if you use an mxml file to define your app, it adds 180k to the resulting flash file.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

awj
Jul 26, 2009 (4 years 269 days ago)

United States US

Originally posted by psyon

Well, one thing I just noticed is that if you use an mxml file to define your app, it adds 180k to the resulting flash file.

That's because its importing the Flex libraries to support the classes generated from the mxml, and I think importing all of them regardless of which ones you use. If you do it in pure as3 and don't use the Flex libraries this doesn't happen. The entry I'm working on for the word game challenge is 266k, most of which is some playtest graphics and a word list that takes up 723k uncompressed.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

Games-Garden
Jul 27, 2009 (4 years 268 days ago)

United Kingdom GB

Whoever says "flex sucks", "flex doesn't do this" and blah blah, is someone who just doesn't know about Flex and if you don't know something, don't mention it 'cause you look silly.

When I didn't know how to compile with other tools, I was using Flash IDE, once I learnt to combine FlashDevelop + Flex SDK then I did all my assets in Flash and the rest in FlashDevelop.

Now I'm using Eclipse + FDT to do almost everything, I open Flash only once to create the assets and compile them into a .swc, then I don't need to open it again EVER (unless I need to edit my assets), while developing compiling with FDT is much faster than with the Flash IDE, all the assets are there in the .swc as well as other 3rd party libraries .swcs (Papervision, Tweener...).

salut!

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

egdcltd

United Kingdom GB

Can anyone recommend any books for programs that have been mentioned here, such as Flash IDE, FlashDevelop and Flex SDK? And I do mean books, those things you actually hold, not online tutorials (I prefer using books to learn from. So sue me, I'm old fashioned).

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

gaby

United Kingdom GB

Pretty much exactly what I do, except I use TextMate in place of FlashDevelop.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

domreinalabaster
Jul 27, 2009 (4 years 268 days ago) edited 4 years 268 days ago

United States US

I think there's some confusion on what these products actually are.

• The Flex SDK is a free compiler provided by Adobe. It compiles both .mxml (flex) files and .as (actionscript) files.
  • FlexBuilder is an IDE by Adobe that can create projects in both flex and actionscript (or a mixture.)
  • You DO NOT have to program your app using the flex framework just because you're using flex builder or the Flex SDK.

I don't know why Adobe chose such a confusing naming scheme, but there it is. On another note, Flex Builder compiles MUCH faster than the flash IDE, and you can still use the flash ide to do your graphics. Simply export graphics as a swc as mentioned above. Anyone who has used flex builder vs the other IDEs out there (I can't speak for FDT) knows it is much more robust.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

violentaj

I use the Flash IDE for a few variables (which I might change in the future) and the preloader. I use Flashdevelop for my classes.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

Gordon

United States US

I switched to using FlashDevelop for coding after reading this thread, it's certainly much better than the Flash IDE and a piece of cake to setup etc.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

npgames
Jul 27, 2009 (4 years 267 days ago)

United States US

is it easy to use along side flash?

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

TapSkill
Jul 27, 2009 (4 years 267 days ago) edited 4 years 267 days ago

United States US

Programming nerds: FlashDevelop + Inkscape + Notepad++ (what?)

Programming noobs: Scirra Construct (can edit/create images for itself... but it sucks, so use GIMP)

Artists/Animators: Flash IDE + GIMP/Photoshop

I never strayed away from the Flash IDE. For the longest time, I stuck with Flash 5, because I was too used to it, but when I got interested in AS3, I got Flash CS3 and didn't look back. (Where da heck did my Flash 5 cd go?) My only complaint is you don't have a good Flash IDE for Linux. You can emulate Flash 5 well enough, though.

I use CodeBlocks+MinGW for my other (non-Flash) programming projects. Easy setup.

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

Gordon
Jul 27, 2009 (4 years 267 days ago)

United States US

Originally posted by NPGam.es

is it easy to use along side flash?

Have your .fla open in flash, your .as(s) open in FlashDevelop and hit ctrl-enter in FlashDevelop to get Flash to compile. I put off trying out FlashDevelop because I assumed setup would be more complicated than it is.

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

npgames
Jul 28, 2009 (4 years 267 days ago)

United States US

thanks ill try it out tomorrow

• Thankful People:

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

egdcltd

United Kingdom GB

Originally posted by FJGamer

Programming nerds: FlashDevelop + Inkscape + Notepad++ (what?)

Notepad++ is a brilliant tool for programming in any language, not just AS. Although I still use Notepad too much.

Flex SDK vs Flash IDE

garin

New Zealand NZ

I'm a few days into using Flex Builder now and there are definitely some things FlashDevelop does better. I feel like it has a better, more convenient search as well as more helpful code completion. Although Flex Builder does have a pretty neat realtime error checking system that flags syntax errors and the like as you go.

• Thankful People:
Back To The Forums