Community

To:
Subject:

list of illegal sites

fishnchips
Jul 29, 2009 (4 years 264 days ago)

United Kingdom GB

Hi guys

I've been in dialogue with some of the advertisers on illegal sites hosting modified/stolen flash games and how they contravene the publishers agreement (such as arcadeprehacks dot com). Some of the advertisers have responded with a request for a listing of such sites, please can you list below the sites and what material has been modified/stolen.

cheers.

list of illegal sites

BoogaTech

United States US

Probably the most known one is ebaumsworld , com

These sites have ignored my requests at removing content they had no right putting up, and they contain a lot of other movies just taken right off of Newgrounds:

• gamebrew , com
  • free-games-play , com
  • arcadecool , com
  • craziness , com
  • animationarcade , com
  • funnypart , com
  • freeaddictinggames , com

That's all I got around to when I just gave up since multiple e-mails resulted in nothing, and the number of sites ripping off my work and many others just kept multiplying. Except for freeaddictinggames, who removed my animation for a couple weeks and then just put it back on when they thought I wasn't looking any more. Many of them have multiple sites, which can be dug up through a whois search.

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

fishnchips

United Kingdom GB

Hi

Do you have evidence (links to your work etc) to support that particular site has stolen/modified content? I don't want to send Valueclick a list without proper analysis. What I'm trying to do is get a list of sites like arcadeprehacks that make money out of illegally hacking games,removing mochi ads etc.

We're not after sites that see a stolen game they like and maybe unknowingly (that it's stolen/modified) add it to their site.

For sites that do propagate illegal modified content an email should suffice to say that 'if abc game isn't removed then XYZ (advertiser) will be contacted to make them aware you are hosting illegal content that violates the publisher agreement.' - Believe me that will make them act.

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

Games-Garden

United Kingdom GB

I wouldn't say gamebrew is doing something dodgy, is a well respected portal and member of this community I believe. fishnchips, how about sites that steal bandwidth? I got some names in my .htaccess.

salut

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

fishnchips

United Kingdom GB

hi nesto,

no, just sites that pro actively illegally modify game content.

for your htaccess try this

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} \.(swf|dcr|flv)$ [NC]
# allow blank referrer requests
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http?://([^.]+\.)?mysite\.com [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http?://([^.]+\.)?siteallowedtohotlink1\.com [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http?://([^.]+\.)?siteallowedtohotlink2\.com [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !search\?q=cache   [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !google\.   [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !yahoo\.    [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/redirect\.swf$ [NC]
RewriteRule \.(swf|dcr)$ http://www.mysite.com/redirect.swf  [R,NC,L]

for your redirect.swf create a generic swf that redirects to your site with the following as

//Frame 0
//  Action tag #0
if (url == null)
{
    getURL("http://www.mysite.com", "_blank");
}
else
{
    getURL(url, "_self");
}
stop();
//Button 3
//  On press
on (press)
{
    getURL("http://www.mysite.com", "_blank");
}

list of illegal sites

BoogaTech

United States US

I don't know if any hack out MochiAds, since most of trying to go after these kinds of sites was in 2007 and mid 2008, but all the following have been sent at least one cease and desist notice by email (the only way of contacting them I had been able to find):

A correction: I checked my e-mails again, and it was actually funflashgames.com, owned by Broken Entity Media, that responded to my cease and desist letter, removed my animation as requested, and then added it back on a few weeks later:

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

fishnchips

United Kingdom GB

hmmmm

I can see what you mean Boogatech, rather than each and every developer wasting their time firing off email after email to each site owner/portal that hosts unauthorised content I think it would be best if there was a central report site listing stolen/modified works, the report site would have backing from the ad companies in that games not removed by a certain time would see the site owner losing their publisher status and any cash owed to them. I'll think about this a bit more and see what else I come up with.

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

ParaLogic
Jul 29, 2009 (4 years 264 days ago) edited 4 years 264 days ago

Netherlands NL

BoogaTech, are you saying you expect to upload something to Newgrounds without it getting spread over the internet?

Thank god other sites take games/movies from Newgrounds. The more sites the better... Bigger exposure means more fame and money.

If you don't want you games/movies to be taken off of Newgrounds, just sitelock them.

I agree with you that sites should delete content if the author wants to, but keep in mind that portal owners get a lot of spam, and your mail can very well never be read. In case of funflashgames.com, there are probably more people working on that site, so probably someone who never read your mail added your animation later.

The sites you listed do not modify your animation right?

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

BoogaTech
Jul 29, 2009 (4 years 264 days ago) edited 4 years 264 days ago

United States US

Uploading things to the internet does not make them free to take, and exposure is only good if you actually get credited for something you make. Oddly enough, it isn't even the Newgrounds version that is being spread around. As I've said, I've given up on chasing these sites around, and I am just listing the ones that ignored my requests in the past in an attempt to be helpful. Some of the stuff there is site locked to Newgrounds. One even displays a message stating that it is stolen/published without authorization when you try to play it (also found on the sites listed).

As for funflashgames.com, at the time they removed my game and added it back on, the animation was three years old and had long since slipped into obscurity. It even had the same description as before.

Still, since this topic is only about games that had the Mochi Ads edited out of them, I guess most of what I've said doesn't really apply to the topic unless someone recognizes something of theirs missing the ads.

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

voidSkipper

Australia AU

Originally posted by BoogaTech

Probably the most known one is ebaumsworld , com

You are far behind the eightball. Ebaums changed ownership some time ago. They now pay for their licenses (I can vouch personally) and conduct themselves rather professionally, as far as I have seen.

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

xdragonx10
Jul 29, 2009 (4 years 263 days ago)

Originally posted by BoogaTech

Uploading things to the internet does not make them free to take

It's generally accepted that any game uploaded to a website without a sitelock does in fact make them free to take. As ParaLogic mentioned, portal owners usually do get a lot of spam and your email probably got lost.

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

eichwulf
Jul 29, 2009 (4 years 263 days ago)

Bulgaria BG
  • Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

earthwind
Jul 30, 2009 (4 years 263 days ago) edited 4 years 263 days ago

Canada CA

Just got an email from atarigame.net person saying they had 1637 free flash games with categories all for free for your site.

Anyways, it made me wonder why someone would offer the bandwidth to host all these games. Downloaded some zips and of course they are all hacked. Any existing link outs go to a site game5.org

Found a game of mine in there, armor games, ninja kiwis (bloons) and various others I recognize from here and other places.

download links: http://downloadflashgames.atarigame.net/

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

fishnchips
Jul 30, 2009 (4 years 263 days ago) edited 4 years 263 days ago

United Kingdom GB

I got one two, and yes the games have been hacked, I've sent the following mail off, he has a week.

Dear Sir(s)

The games across your network of sites http://www.game5.org and maybe more contains illegally modified flash content, you are kindly requested to remove the said content from your site(s) including the download location and to recant the emails that were propagated, failure to do so after seven days will result in your google publisher id being reported to google for breaching their policy terms and conditions. Furthermore some of the work done on the modified content were made by our own in house developers, we may also need to issue a retrospective for use of the game(s) @ £2,000 each.

very truly yours

I think he has a mochi account so I hope he sees this.

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

Beno
Jul 30, 2009 (4 years 263 days ago)

Costa Rica CR

All you need to do is send DMCA notices to the company hosting the websites. They will pass the message on and simply shut down the account if after a reasonable amount of time the content remains there and you continue bugging them.

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

psyon
Jul 30, 2009 (4 years 263 days ago)

United States US

Booga, please PM me a list of all games you want removed from FreeAddictingGames.com, and I will make sure it happens. It is not my site, but I know the guy who runs it. He is not generally the type to ignore emails though, so I am not sure what happened there.

I would suggest though that if you want a game locked to a few sites, that you site lock it. Also, once one person hacks the game, there is a good chance it will soon be picked up from other sites.

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

indiasbull
Jul 30, 2009 (4 years 262 days ago)

India IN

FreeAddictingGames.com i was playing games here from 3-4 yrs . then i was busy for 3-4 then i forgot name but remember addictinggames(forgot free) so when i type addictinggames.com i found new site . i m shocked to hear they posting hacked games or as u all saying . but over all to me f.a.g a good site

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

egdcltd
Jul 31, 2009 (4 years 262 days ago)

United Kingdom GB

Originally posted by psyon

Also, once one person hacks the game, there is a good chance it will soon be picked up from other sites.

Way beyond good really. Only takes one posting of a cracked game and that thing can spread all over the internet. There's a good chance any site you found it on didn't know it was cracked, so I'd suggest asking where they got it from also. That way, there's a (small) chance you may be able to find the source.

• Thankful People:

list of illegal sites

Back To The Forums