Community

To:
Subject:

Lots of Questions

jlo
Aug 14, 2007 (6 years 250 days ago)

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to this and I have a couple of questions that relate to flash development and releasing a game out on the web.

1) I did some research on some of the Game Portals that were posted in THIS thread and found that most of them had legal that did not protect against derivative works, or the legal for the site was so vague I am unsure our game would be protected at all. This could be a problem for my group. Does it bother any of you? Do you work deals with the sites to protect your works? Or are you putting it out there and not really caring if others grab your code and make almost the same game?

2) What is the traffic like on many of those Game Portals. In particular I am curious to see numbers for Day 1 on a site and beyond. I understand that a site like newgrounds will probably drive more traffic than other smaller sites, but is there any way I could get example numbers? IE - "On day one on Newgrounds my game was #4 and got 5000 hits... once other fresher content came out, by week 4 my numbers were closer to 200 hits a day from that site" OR "We launched our game on 4 different sites and on day one we got 500 hits, but by week four our game was on 40 different sites and was generating 20,000 page views per day" (maybe this question is better asked to the Mochibot forums *shrug*) :)

3) Does anyone NOT try and get sponsorship by sites they are posting to?

4) I see talk about striking deals for a couple of hundred dollars per site to have that site put thier sponsorship behind the game. Does that sponsorship come with more premium placement on the website?

If I am posting this in the wrong spot, let me know and I will move to a more appropriate location. I figured this was a good place as there are many business minded individuals making flash games here. :D

Any help is appreciated1 :)
  • Thankful People:

Lots of Questions

robotJAM
Aug 14, 2007 (6 years 250 days ago)

United Kingdom GB
1) Thats the same with any flash product, the .swf format is not very secure, you could use amayeta to encrypt your .swfs up but there has been
very few cases of flash plagiarisms where they have actually decomplied, most flash code isn't that hard to replicate so most clones
are people redeveloping.

2) Your best bet is to stick mochibot in and track a game. The stats for sites are impossible to judge as it depends on how good the game is.
The better the game the more plays it will get. Some of the best games on here will do over 100,000 plays a day easy. If its a half decent game you'll barely need to do any seeding, just put it on a few sites and it'll be on hundreds within a few weeks.

3) You'll also find if your games are good enough you won't actually have to bother asking for sponsorship, you'll get people asking to sponsor
them. Most of them will ask you to take out a link to you site and take out mochiads. The last game I did I had lined up sponsorship but decided against
it as I think if you believe the game is good you'll make more from mochiads than you would from a sponsorship which took them out.

4) If you do get sponsorship with a site they are obviously going to give it a good spot on their site.
  • Thankful People:
  • jlo

Lots of Questions

pitchmobile
Aug 16, 2007 (6 years 248 days ago)

1) Derivative works are something you simply can't protect yourself against. The upshot is that the only reason they'll make a derivative is if your game is incredibly awesome and getting a ton of traffic anyway.

2) It very much differs based on the quality of your game. We've released two games so far, and on Newgrounds the second one got 35k hits on the first full day of it being on the front page, which beat the total hits for the first game in its first month in the wild.

I don't have any real experience with sponsorships.
  • Thankful People:
  • jlo

Lots of Questions

jlo
Aug 16, 2007 (6 years 248 days ago)

Did you post the 1st game on Newgrounds as well?
  • Thankful People:

Lots of Questions

pitchmobile
Aug 17, 2007 (6 years 247 days ago)

Yes, but it's not nearly as good a game as the second.
  • Thankful People:

Lots of Questions

moder
Aug 17, 2007 (6 years 247 days ago)

Do you have any tips on posting to Newgrounds? I posted my first game there a few days ago and it was rated pretty well (4.05, 7/10 ), but it didn't get a lot of traffic and I'm afraid it is swamped by all the other items that were posted recently.
  • Thankful People:

Lots of Questions

robotJAM
Aug 18, 2007 (6 years 247 days ago)

United Kingdom GB
moder, newgrounds isn't that good a place to post, theres just too much traffic, most games get swamped.
  • Thankful People:

Lots of Questions

styxtwo
Aug 19, 2007 (6 years 246 days ago)

Netherlands NL
getting in a group on newgrounds helps a lot (like puzzle or action) but i don't know what it takes to get in one of those. ow and also make sure you don't post your game on one of there special days(like clocks day a few days ago) because the game-posting traffic is a lot higher then.
  • Thankful People:
Back To The Forums