Community

To:
Subject:

Opt Out of Login Widget Special Offers

fex
Mar 03, 2011 (3 years 46 days ago) edited 3 years 46 days ago

United States US

I've been on the fence about using Mochi's login/social system for a while. On the one hand, it's a powerful free resource, and saves me the trouble of writing my own code or switching to another system. On the other hand, the interface is not customizable, those annoying popup offers cannot be disabled, and it's essentially a two-click traffic leak (or one click, if any sort of connection error occurs, because the error window tells users to visit MochiGames.com).

Up until now, I've been willing to take the bad along with the good. This might be the straw that breaks the camel's back, though:

alt text

This screenshot was taken in a game that has advertisements completely disabled. And while I understand that this "special offer" is not considered by Mochi to be an advertisement in the traditional sense, the end result is the same: the first thing my users see is a large, unattractive panel with a Honda logo and a CTA, with the MochiGames mascot peeping out from behind it, all of which is completely obscuring my logo.

So I guess this is it. I know I'm fairly new here, and I'm not exactly in a position to be making ultimatums or anything, but I don't think it's unreasonable for me to make friendly requests, or to at least let Mochi know why I'm dropping the last one of their APIs that I was still using. I'm revisiting my login class next weekend, and unless I see some dramatic changes, I'll be switching to another solution.

My request is simple: give developers the option to remove these annoying, intrusive, and completely unpredictable special offers entirely. Or, preferably, make the entire social/login process whitelabel.

I like Mochi. You guys are great people who have done great things for Flash developers, especially beginners. And maybe it's a possibility that I've just outgrown some of the basic tools, and if I'm not willing to give you guys what you want in exchange for a free service, I need to move on. But I figured it couldn't hurt to at least ask before I switched.

Cheers.

colin
Mar 04, 2011 (3 years 45 days ago)

United States US

Hey guys,

This is a fair point, and a fair request. We apologize for releasing this without letting you know it was coming. We're pulling it back, so after tomorrow evening (24 hours from now) you shouldn't be seeing this anymore.

colin
Mar 10, 2011 (3 years 40 days ago)

United States US

Update- we have turned off part of this campaign (a large part), but there is still a small amount of inventory that has to be served before we can turn off the rest. This is will be completed by March 18th, at which time you will no longer see any special offers through the login widget.

• Thankful People:
  • fex

benjy230
Mar 10, 2011 (3 years 40 days ago)

Will there be any more free coin offers soon? Because I don't really have the money to pay for alot of coins.

• Thankful People:

Dragonsnare0
Mar 10, 2011 (3 years 39 days ago) edited 3 years 39 days ago

United States US

Originally posted by colincupp you will no longer see any special offers through the login widget.

I think there should be an option on the game profile where we could choose to turn it on or off. I mean the last game I made that uses the login widget uses a large part of the coins API and promotion of the coins is not a bad idea for it promotes setting up a username. Which in that game being logged in unlocks the full features of the game. Of course I can see where some may be annoyed, But I don't think it shouldn't be removed all together just give us a check box.

EDIT: I meant shouldn't be removed all together

• Thankful People:

colin
Mar 10, 2011 (3 years 39 days ago)

United States US

Originally posted by Dragonsnare0 I think there should be an option on the game profile where we could choose to turn it on or off

Thanks for the feedback, its very much appreciated! We are turning it off so that we can figure these things out. If it were to come back, it would be something that developers have more control over.

• Thankful People:
Back To The Forums