Community

To:
Subject:

Problmes with updating a swf with the Mochiads code

nspgames
Aug 16, 2007 (6 years 251 days ago)

United States US
I am having a strange problem with a game I put the Mochiads code into. Here's the story....

I previoucly had a game which used multiple files that I put the Mochiads code into. First try everything worked fine. Recently I decided the game would function better and be more easily distributed if it were just one swf file. So I began the task of building it into one nice compact little swf file. Here's where the problems start. (to note: the old swf is currently only on my personal website, no where else) I uploaded my new version to my website server but when I view the swf the old version is the one that is being played. I might also mention the old swf files from the old game have been taken off the site.

So my question here is this... Does the Mochiads code reference the original swf it was attached to and does Mochiads keep a copy of the swf files on a server in case the original can not be found? Any ideas on how a flash game that no longer exists on the web is still playing in my browser when I go to my website? This one is kind of freaking me out. Oh, btw, I have the Mochibot code in the old swf also so I am pretty sure I'm the only one who has the actual swf.

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this one.
  • Thankful People:

asvegren

Are you sure you're exporting the new swf in a folder that conteins the Mochi code? I don't mean to insult your intelligence or anything, I personally do this a lot.
  • Thankful People:

Jol

United States US
Same thing happened to me nspgames. I just refreshed my cookies (in case it was using old site content), and reuploaded the file, then waited overnight and it was right.
  • Thankful People:

bob

United States US
We don't store your SWF anywhere unless you upload it to us. If you're seeing an old version of the SWF your browser is probably just caching it... clear your cache, close your browser, start it back up and try it again.
  • Thankful People:

nspgames

United States US
Hey guys, I guess I should have mentioned that I also thought of all those things, such as clearing the cache, cookies, etc. But jol mentioned waiting overnight, I did think that maybe my host provider was keeping the files cached and it might have something to do with that, but I've never had any kind of issue with that before.

But if anyone else has any ideas on this I'm still open to suggestions. And thanks for those who already gave some input.
  • Thankful People:

bob

United States US
Well looking at the HTTP headers of your SWF file as served from your site, it says: "Last-Modified: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 03:59:01 GMT" (you can easily do this with the Firebug extension for Firefox). Are you sure you uploaded a replacement with the same filename to the same location? Case does usually matter (unless your web server is IIS on Windows).

I highly doubt your ISP would do any server-side caching of static content, I've never heard of an ISP that does that... it doesn't really make sense unless you're distributing it to a CDN, and that's expensive.
  • Thankful People:

nspgames

United States US
Hi Bob,

That's what is really wierd, because not only did I upload a replacement file multiple times yesterday the 15th I also have completely removed the files all together. I mean they are no longer on the site period. So if you just got to the site then that must mean the problem is with the host. Or at least thats all I can think of.
  • Thankful People:

bob

United States US
You should contact your host's support and see what they say...
  • Thankful People:

nspgames

United States US
That's what I was thinking. Well, thanks for your time and help anyways Bob.

When I find out what's going on I'll post it for reference, unless of course it turns out to be something really stupid on my own part. Then I'll deny everything. :)
  • Thankful People:
Back To The Forums